Sunday, July 15, 2012

It didn't sink...

Yep, after finishing some last minute details the boat went in the water today. It was one of the rare beautiful days with almost flat calm water.

Gotta tell you though, I was really nervous when we went to put it in the water!

She sits about an inch higher at the bow than the stern and I didn't need to cheat the waterline, my graphite is about one and half inches above the water at the stern.
It was floated and run for the two hour break-in period today. Once I sorted out a fuel system boo-boo everything ran great.

Now for the motor. It's quiet at idle, in fact so quiet at idle you have the leave the rear door open and really listen for it. The guy at the fuel dock even commented on how quiet it is.

I've got the wrong prop on it. I was pretty sure when the dealer handed me a 14.5x19 that it was way to much pitch and I was right. I was only able to get the RPM to 5000 when WOT should be 5800. But I gotta tell you, at 5000RPM we were doing 36 knots! That's 42MPH! WooHoo!!!

At WOT (Wide Open Throttle) it's a little loud in the cabin, but it's still all hard surfaces. It was still perfectly possible to talk, you just had to speak up.

I can also tell you she'll come right down in speed in a hurry. We were coming in at 4500RPM, when all of a sudden at about 30 yards out, OMG THERE'S A WHALE SURFACING!!! Very quickly pulled the throttle back and without slamming you forward we dropped to almost no forward momentum so quick I couldn't believe it.

Quite a day. Can't stop grinning. Thanks once again to my friend Kim who helped with sorting out the hydraulic lines, cleaning up the stuff around the boat, being my deckhand, and putting up with the crazy maniac who was having a blast ripping around at full throttle. I think she's a little crazy though.

She wants to water ski behind it. :-)


There's still work to do before the official launch, but that'll probably be next weekend.

Yay!