Monday, June 11, 2012

Day 226 & 227 - Helm's around

Two days of work in one blog page. Got off the plane yesterday, picked up my truck, got some lunch, went home and changed my clothes and went to the shed to work on the boat. Was way too tired to write, so that's why you get a two for one today!

So a quick list of what's been done.

The cabinetry hinges inside the cabin were installed and two of the doors and latches installed. The other doors are still being painted.



The forward port side seat had holes drilled in the legs for the retention pins to go in and the seat was installed in the cabin.


Much sorting and rearranging of stuff was done as I couldn't find anything! Clearly taking a week off allowed my brain to forget everything. What a pain. :-)

The squeeze out of silicone was trimmed from the front of the windows (no picture, nothing to see). Get it? Nothing to see...

Never mind.

Then work began on more little stuff. All of the lights, both cabin and navigation will be mounted to separate pieces of wood that will then be glued to the structure with 4200. Again, no more holes in the structure if I can avoid it. Plus if I ever want to replace the lights with something else, peel them off and glue new ones on.

A significant amount of work was done at the helm. Much planning and layout work with blue tape to try to ensure everything will fit. It's tight, but I think I'll be ok.


The circle on the left is the wheel, the long rectangle is the area for the shift/throttle and the arc is the path for the shifter/throttle. The square hole is where the switches will go. That bulkhead is 1/2" plywood and it's way too thick for the switches to mount in, so after a couple tries I managed to come up with a way to mount eight switches and the ignition switch using 1/4" plywood. All the holes were drilled after carefully laying them out.

In addition to all those holes I started drilling the hole for the wire to pass through the top of the forward bulkhead. It's a 2-1/8" hole and it's pretty hard on batteries for my small drill, ran both down and still didn't quite make it.


The chartplotter was unpacked for the first time, just to get the bracket out and lined up. The screen will be centered on the wheel, which is centered on where the captain will sit so that everything is visually lined up. I do this on my motorcycle and it's a very efficient and comfortable way to operate.

Just for fun I unpacked the compass and set it in its approximate position.


Then it was back to painting. All the pieces got primed or more white paint.



And inside the cabin, the support ribs got another coat of white, as did the area above the windows.

I've decided that the counter top will be siliconed into place as I can see needing to remove it at some point. And since it's a pretty tight fit I'm not worried about it coming loose. So... it's getting fully primed and will be painted white all over. The areas that I had left bare for attaching the counter top also got primed.


Completely lost track of time tonight. When I checked the clock it was 11pm! Oops!

Yesterday - 4 hours
Today - 10 hours