Sunday, June 24, 2012

Day 238 - Hot, hot, hot!

Y'all from the South might laugh, but it's been in the eighties the past couple days and that's hot! for us. It's affected the boat building too.

After getting started late because of work, work was resumed in the transom well. Sanding was done to smooth it out, another coat of epoxy to fill the weave and drain holes were drilled in the lower corners. The extra epoxy was turned into peanut butter to fill the gaps on the front side and then everything was left alone to cure.

The transom light was screwed to it's mounting board and then 3M 5200 was used to stick it in place. The blue tape is keeping it aligned while the adhesive sets.


Up next was the throttle/shifter. Many parts and pieces later (and yes! I read the manual) it was installed in the face plate and the face plate was mounted. This will come apart later when the control cables are installed.


After avoiding working on the front windows for the past couple weeks I decided it was time to just do it. I completely don't know why doing these scares me, but every time I finish one I have to mentally whack myself as they're really easy.




The install process was a little different on these. Because there's no way to get a razor blade in there to cut out the squeeze out I had to scrape it out. I left the squeeze out on the glass side because it actually helps hold the wood strip in place while the silicone sets up. You can see in the first picture where I had to use blue tape to keep the strip from sliding away.

By this time it was so hot in the shed, even with the fans running full bore in the doorway, that I had to get out. So I went to Home Depot and bought a sheet of 1/4" plywood that I had them rip in quarters. I'll use these to make patterns for the side windows. It's much cheaper to screw up a $6 piece of wood than a $65 sheet of lexan!

After returning from errands I discovered that the epoxy from this afternoon had almost fully hardened (told you it was hot!) so painting was back on the plate. After doing a final touch test and smoothing some bumps and spikes with the rasp, I cut a three inch hole in the side for running cables through and then painted the inside of the transom well with BilgeKote.



The BilgeKote was painted inside the drain holes and the side hole too.

Primer was painted on the back, edges and underneath.



And another sign of the project winding down; the stairs I've been using for months to climb in and out of the transom cut-out were disassembled.


With that I called it a night after a very long day.

6 Hours