Thursday, June 14, 2012

Day 230 - Remember the three!

More progress with some timely help today.

Today was started by installing the three pieces of wood that were worked on yesterday.


After sanding the paint off in the areas that would be epoxied, the edges of the two pieces attached to the sides were liberally coated with epoxy. Then the bottom piece (just seen through the large hole) was set in place with a single screw underneath the front edge to keep it from falling, a piece of blue tape at the rear to keep it from moving and after making a real smooth batch of peanut butter filleted into place.

The edge of the face piece were taped off with blue tape to keep from epoxying it into place, then it was screwed to the top piece, pounded into place (a tight fit!) and the top piece was filleted in.

Just as I was starting the epoxy work, Kim came by and offered to help. She, like her daughter Caitlin, is an awesome painter, so I set her up with the paint and she went to town. Let's see... Pieces and parts on the table were done, the back side of the radar mount, around the outside edges of the forward windows, touch up in the rear deck area, and I'm sure a multitude of other things I didn't point out.


Now Kim has this thing about red doors and even though she really needed to go home to bed as she works early in the morning, she just couldn't resist putting a coat of maroon paint on the door. :-) Not only the face, but around the window edges too! Yay!


While she was doing all that, work continued in the cabin. The excess peanut butter was used to fill some of the knot holes and cracks in the plywood for the counter top. I also used some to smooth the fillets in the rear transom well.

 
The hydraulic steering pump was loosened so that blue tape could be put behind it for painting. Another coat of paint was put on the inside of the roof just behind the front windows. And because I'm going to silicone the counter top in place, white paint was put on the top edges of the cabinet. Some touch up paint was applied in a few other areas as well.


Last, but not least, I had stopped at Don Abel tonight on the way to the shed and bought a series of nuts; #6, #8, #10, 1/4" and 5/16", as I have a couple places I still need to buy electrical connectors for and I needed to figure out what size to buy. Those nuts were used to do that.

Tomorrow I'll start fitting the inside strips around the front windows. I've been having another one of those fear of failure blocks going on with these and I just need to get with it.

Kim - 1.5 Hours
Me - 2.5 Hours