Sunday, October 2, 2011

Day 25 - Six inches at a time

Well, for a short day I sure got a lot done. Made a trip to Home Depot to get two more sheets of 1-1/8" ply and a power planer. I also dug through the pile of 4x4s and managed to find a real nice straight one with almost no knots! Headed for the shop and on a nice sunny day it was almost 75 degrees inside!

After hauling stuff in I worked on pulling the screws and scraping the transom down. I'm getting the hang of this scraping thing, it's almost an art. At the right angle and the right pressure it's real easy to take off just what you want, no more.

Next it was dust making time so I hauled my epoxy station and the jugs of resin and hardener out to the truck. I ripped the two sheets of 1-1/8" ply into two strips of 16", two strips of 9" and two strips of 6". I've decided to remake my shelves six inches wide instead of the four Renn calls for and I'll make the top cap match up width wise. I think six inches is wide enough to walk on and I want the extra space in the cabin. I know why Renn uses four inches; that's so he can cut his shelves out of one sheet of ply plus the dimensional lumber he planes down to thickness. I get to splurge so I'm doing it here.

I grabbed the 4x4 and started doing my figuring for the bowstem (the piece of wood at the front of the boat where the sides come together to form the bow). With careful measurement and planning I manged to end up with only a single very small knot in the entire piece. First I cut it to length, then I cut the angle at the tip, then the ripped it to width and since my Skilsaw doesn't cut at a perfect ninety degrees I used the new power planer, and finally I clamped it to the sawhorses and cut the side angles. Piece of cake! 


Last I started work on the new shelves. I had worked in Visio to create a new set of offset tables and am pleased to report that the virtual world matches reality! Below is the Visio image with all the dimensions you should need if you want to use this for yourself.


And here's the new layout in progress.


Cleaned up and called it a day.

5 Hours