Monday, October 17, 2011

Day 41 - Scarfs, scarfs everywhere...

Just when you think you're done with scarfs more pop up.

Today was a good example. I started working on the chines (the flat narrow areas of the hull parallel to the water) which are made up of several strips of 1/2" ply scarfed together. Did some measuring, did some more, grabbed some 1/2" ply scrap and started cutting. These are small scarfs so I decided to try and do them with the hand planer. After a couple false starts, and starting over, I finally started to get the hang of it and got all of them done. Makes a heck of a lot of sawdust and wood pieces from cutting across the grain.

And again it was epoxy time. I made a mistake last night and left the heat on too high and when I got in tonight it was over 70. Not good as the combination of the large quantity of epoxy in one area and the higher temps meant the surface was pretty hard and tough to scrape from yesterdays keel joint work. So tonight I brought the temperature down to 60 by turning the heater off when I got in and then tried to adjust it to hold there.

I flipped the shelves over and set them on the floor, put some epoxy around the joint and put down pieces of glass. I decided to fill the weave of the glass in the keel joint so that I don't have to sand to make the epoxy layers stick so I did that. Next I laid out the pieces for the chines on both the floor and the sawhorses, coated the surfaces with epoxy, made some some peanut butter with the leftover and screwed the scarfs together. Used what was left to fill some tiny gaps in the scarfs of the hull ply and ended up with just a little extra. I'm getting better at judging how much epoxy to make!


4.5 Hours