Thursday, October 13, 2011

Day 36 - Another DDD

DDD = Ding, Dang, durn it. It seems I'm using it a lot right now so I'm going to use DDD instead.

Got to the shed tonight after some dilly-dallying and a brief nap and found the temperature at 70! The difference between 60 and 70 on the heater is really small, I'm going to need to mark it when I find the sweet spot.

Anyways, the panel I faired last night was mostly cured so I shuffled side panels again so I could continue fairing the two I worked on last night, plus the last one. Grabbed the roll of fiberglass and rolled it out and...


Well, DDD! Five inches too short! Arggh!

Oh well, grab a chunk of the scrap I've been cutting off the edge (as the fiberglass is 38" wide and the side panels are 32" wide), cut it to length and we'll use that.

I changed my resin technique slightly and put on only enough to soak into the plywood, then rolled on the fiberglass (including the short piece) and then added more resin to the dry spots. You can tell when you've got just enough resin; the fiberglass disappears leaving only the pattern of the weave. If there's not enough resin, or the ply soaked more in, then you can see white or whitish areas of fiberglass. This way of doing it takes more time, but I think will ultimately produce a lighter product as there's less resin being used.


In this picture you can see what it ideally should look like in the middle, while out around the edges there's still too much resin. I also figured out a better way to deal with the bubbles that are still appearing. If I take a chip brush (a really cheap brush) and lightly drag it across the bubbles, they pop and I can also slightly spread out the excess resin without dragging the fiberglass cloth.

So, one panel is completed, two have been faired and are curing, one will be faired tomorrow and I think I'll glass the inside of the transom tomorrow as well. That'll be a challenge with all the changes in planes from the 1/2" doubler at the bottom, up to the 1 3/4" Versalam and back down to the 3/4" doubler at the top.

3.5 Hours