Saturday, October 15, 2011

Day 39 - A little sweat equity

goes a long way. My other best friend came over today to lend a hand and the timing was spot on.

I'd gotten the day started by pulling the screws and washers from the hull panel scarfs and then pondered trying to get them up on the sawhorse by myself. With five sawhorses I figured I could get one end up off the floor and on the middle sawhorse and then pivot it up and into place. Grabbed a 2x4 and clamped it across the scarf for support and up it went! No sweat. Then I did the same with the other one, stacking them so the 1/4" panels were next to each other. Grabbed the book and started laying out lines.


After finishing cutting the panels and then tracing the cuts onto the other 1/4" ply that will be added later I drilled the stitching holes then started assembling and squaring up the jig. My friend showed up and we really got things moving. I set her up assembling the hull framing molds while I cut 2x4s for the legs and the rear extension on the jig. When she finished we installed the legs while leveling the jig and screwed down the molds. Last we moved the hull panels onto the jig and then she had to go. Don't know if I could've gotten those panels in place on my own.


Hey! Maybe this will be a boat after all! I was going till wait for tomorrow to start stitching the panels together (using wire run through holes near the edge of the plywood with the ends twisted together to pull the panels together and hold them in place) as bending the 1/4" plywood up towards the bow is normally a two person job. But with some creative use of some scrap wood to prop the plywood up, successively tightening the wire as I worked towards the tip of the panels and a little muscle things came together!


Starting to look like something other than a pile of wood!


You can see where the wire's been twisted and how it bent the 1/4" ply up and together. That gap near the bottom will need to be pulled together with some more wire tomorrow.


There are two crucial measurement to be done at this stage. One is at the control point I've set up in the picture above. At 40" back from the tip of the hull the width should be measured at 42". I'm at 40" right now but I'll have to check a more critical measurement tomorrow and that's checking the angle of the bow. It must be 55 degrees in reference to the floor, otherwise everything else will be off.

Finally I did some serious cleanup and constructed a screening tray made of 1x3s and some screen mesh and filtered out my sawdust pile putting the fine stuff in a bag and the rest in the trash. The filtered sawdust will be used for making peanut butter for the multiple fillets I'll be doing from here on out, starting tomorrow with a huge one down the centerline of the hull.

Tomorrow I'll set the control angle and measurement and then I'll start glassing!

11.5 Hours