Friday, October 14, 2011

Day 38 - Somedays...

are just meant to be short. Had the day off today with two goals: finish the transom and get the hull plywood ready to go.

The transom was in really good shape from last night; after cutting the green glass and pulling up the blue tape there was very little scraping to do. You can see in the next photo the overlap of the two fiberglass pieces used last night.


I shuffled the side panels off to the side wall to continue curing and to free up the floor space. Next I moved the transom off the end wall and over to the side wall and added another layer of 4oz glass all the way across the transom Versalam. Can you see it in the picture below?


The glass was cut to flow over the corner and down across the fillet. This is one of the high stress areas of the boat and while Renn doesn't call for it, this added strength makes me more comfortable.

The last pieces of the boat to work on before assembly starts are the bottom hull panels. The 1/2" plywood pieces were scarfed together days ago and have been in the way ever since, but I'm finally finishing them. The first thing to do was to cut the scarfed panels to length. Renns' original design was for a 22' boat which means cutting three feet off these panels, but since I'm adding two feet to mine I only cut off one foot. I laid the panels side by side on the floor using one of the seams to help line them up and put some screws in to hold them in place. Next were the 1/4" panels, they were very carefully lined up and screwed to the floor at the far end from the joint. A batch of resin was mixed and and the wood in the joints liberally applied, then the extra resin was mixed with microballoons and Cab-o-sil and put in the scarf and everything screwed down with extra screws and washers.


Off to Home Depot as I'm running out of gloves (the moment I get a hole in a glove it's thrown away and a new one put on), plus I needed tie wire, a new fluorescent bulb and some screening so I can screen my pile of sawdust into something usable.

Last I headed home as I need to soak my resin container in some hot water for about three hours as what's left in the container has crystallized. Hot water reliquifies the resin. Over time it will crystallize again, but I'll be using a bunch in the next few days so I should be ok.

I'll be heading back over the the shed tonight to take the resin back and pull up the blue tape and do a little scraping. The scarf between the 1/2" ply and the 1/4" ply is obviously uneven and clearing out the resin tonight will be much easier than tomorrow.

Tomorrow the hull panels will be cut to shape and the jig built. I won't start actually assembling the the hull until Sunday to give todays scarf time to really set up. Until fiberglass is applied that joint is pretty weak.

10 Hours