Monday, October 10, 2011

Day 34 - Tiny bubbles...

My legs are killing me tonight. Spent way to much time on my knees and up and down. Anyways...

As usual started out with scraping. Scraped the transom and the shelf, then picked the transom up (man it's heavy!) and took it over to lean it up against the wall. And then I noticed the gap. What the?!?!?! There's a gap between the 1/2" ply and the Versalam on the top edge! How did that happen? There was squeeze out! Somehow a 1/16" gap opened up along the top edge but not along the ends. Hmmm...

Well, there's a fix for that, it's called epoxy. So I mixed up a little batch, added some acetone to thin it a bit and then put some blue painters tape on the back of the gap to catch any runoff. Then I started pouring epoxy into the gap. And pouring, and pouring and pouring... And pretty soon the first batch was gone! Little bubbles kept popping up as the epoxy ran down in.

 
So I made a second.

And then a third. And it finally topped out. I have no idea where it went, but I poured almost 18 ounces in, and none came out any of the holes or along the ends or bottom, so it's a big mystery. The only thing I can figure is that the inside of the Versalam must have been slightly cupped, but I'm not really sure, but I'm glad I caught it before it was to late.

The little bit of left over resin was used to coat the knots on the other side of the stringers and the back of one of the shelves.

It turned out to be a nice day so I took all the wood scrap down to the beach and burned them in the firepit for a break and then it was back at it. Swept the floor and laid down the first side panel. Unwrapped the fiberglass cloth and realized I had nothing to cut it with! Ding, dang, durn it! Went to Joanns and bought a rotary cutter and a pair of metal scissors, then back to the shop.

Cut the first piece of 4 oz cloth and rolled it up on my PVC rollers, made up a large batch of epoxy, poured it out and started spreading. Made some more and made sure the ply didn't have any dry spots, then rolled the cloth on. Used the serrated metal roller to press the cloth into the resin and made another batch of epoxy to help fill the weave. It will be interesting to see how things look tomorrow as the cloth looked like it was trying to float in the resin so I may have either used too much or I may need to change my process and wait to fill the weave until the resin that the cloth is sitting in has a chance to set.


Called it a night as I'd really run out of working space. Lots of pieces all over with resin in various stages of curing. All fiberglass work will be done up on sawhorses from here on...

Tired and sore tonight.

7 hours