Friday, October 21, 2011

Day 45 - Big day after big day

It seems that every day now is a big one with lots of progress. Tonight I worked on and finished fiberglassing the chines to the inside of the hull. You'll remember from yesterday that I had a bunch of 2x4s and even more clamps holding the chine flats in place while the epoxy in the seam cured. I wasn't sure that the epoxy would hold or would be enough to keep the chine flats level, but I decided to slowly take the clamps off one at a time and see what happened.

After successfully removing all the bracing everything held together. The chine flats near the front had "sagged" downward, but that wasn't a surprise as they were sagged even further when I first stitched them on. But it wasn't enough to stop me from applying the fiberglass and that's what I did.

A good soaking of epoxy on the hull and chines where the glass would go, then two layers of 10 oz fiberglass (10 oz refers to its weight, but I tend to think of it as its thickness, 10 oz glass is 2.5X thicker than 4 oz glass and correspondingly takes more epoxy to soak it), four inches wide and six inches wide was laid down next, and then a whole lot more epoxy was added to soak everything out.

When I did the seam at the keel I laid down three layers of 7 oz glass instead of the two layers of 10 oz. I have more 7 oz glass than I need, but after almost running out of 4 oz glass I decided to use the 7 oz and save the 10 oz just in case.

Now I'm glad I did that because getting these two layers of 10 oz soaked was a lot of work!

After getting the glass on, smoothed and the bubbles out I put three cross braces and clamps back on to pull the chines up while the epoxy cures tonight.


Tomorrow I'll glass the inside of the hull and then Sunday night I'll flip it if I can find enough help. It will probably be a four person job to do it safely.

Oh, by the way, I've basically finished the five gallons of resin I started with, so with the two and a half gallons of hardener that's seven and a half gallons of epoxy mixed and used already!

4 Hours