Thursday, November 17, 2011

Day 62 - No bucket needed

The big things part of the boat building project have given way to little things. Tonight was the start of little things like filling and fairing.

I started out by climbing inside the hull to tape the gap between the chines and the sides. Now you'll remember that last night I swept a section of the floor under the side and crawled under. Tonight was time for one of those duh! moments. I walked by the transom and realized that there was a nice cutout (for the outboard) just waiting to be used to get inside. Duh!


During this process I was able to get rid of most of the tabs, retaining only two on each side. This is a good thing as it allows the sides to flex into a more fair shape making for less work later. That gap in some places got a little wider and some got a little narrower. Not a big deal, epoxy solves all!

But before the epoxy, I needed to do some work on the bow. Because of the way the plywood for the lower hull bent, there's a convex shape meeting the straight bowstem and that looks darn peculiar. But because the bowstem reaches so far into the hull I could shave off a lot of plywood allowing me to really smooth that line. I also worked on the chines where they meet the sides meet the bowstem to smooth those lines as well. This area will get a fair amount of work over the next couple days I suspect, trying to get it all to look good.


The last thing I worked on was filling the gap between the chines and the sides. Made some epoxy and coated the edges of the plywood, then made several batches of peanut butter, liberally filling the gap. I didn't try to get fancy with it tonight, tomorrow I'll work on making it pretty and functional.


Oh, and it'll be watertight (though not waterproof!) tomorrow, so no bucket needed to keep it afloat! Yay!

4.5 Hours