Sunday, November 20, 2011

Day 65 - Overly optimistic

I was yesterday. I thought I'd have most of the fiberglassing done today. No such luck.

The day started out fine. A run to the paint store to get rollers and a pan for spreading lots of epoxy in a hurry. Then a stop at Don Abel to get some wood slats and then off to the shed.

I used the wood slats to help hold some of the insulation in place that's been coming loose when the wind blows which leads to drafts of cold air. It's hard enough to keep the temperature up inside with single digits that it all helps.

Then it was time to start sanding the hull and the epoxy at the chine-to-side joint. I got most of one side done and all of a sudden the sandpaper started moving around on the sander. The sander pad has velcro hook on it and the sandpaper has loop and the hook side was wearing out. Finally, I had a sheet go Whoop! sailing off and it was time to deal with it. So off to Home Depot I went to get a replacement pad. Well, they didn't have any on the shelf, but they had 11 in a container, but the gentleman who helped me said they didn't have enough people to unload their containers. That left me in a real sour mood, because every time I'm in the store I'm amazed by the number of people they have standing around doing nothing. Not enough people? Baloney.

So I bought some sticky back velcro and headed back to the shop. Cut it in strips, stuck it to the pad and trimmed the edge and the holes and went back to sanding. After almost three hours I was done. I think my sander and I will be best friends for a while. :-)

Next I cut a sheet of poly and started cutting fiberglass. First were two pieces of 10oz long enough to run the full length of the hull. Then I cut strips of 4", 6" and 8" wide. I've got some left, hopefully enough to finish the inside chine-to-side joint when I get to that point.

Made some epoxy and started work on finishing the keel. I laid down the 4" first from the scarf to just beyond where the chine meets the bowstem. Then I laid down the 6" from the scarf all the way to the tip of the bow. And finally the 8", but only forward about three feet from the scarf as the  fiberglass for the hull will start to overlap at this point.


The epoxy I put in the chine-to-side joint on the starboard side last night slumped meaning I was going to have to fill it in again. I made some really thick peanut butter and filled it in, grabbed the heat gun to apply some additional heat to get the epoxy to start to set up and headed off to dinner.

After dinner the peanut butter had set up enough to allow me to gently shape it with my fingers. I made some more epoxy and painted the starboard chine with a thick coat. Made more peanut butter, put in a fillet in the valley between the hull and the chines and laid two layers of 6" and 8" wide 10oz fiberglass.


By the time I got done it was midnight, so I called it good and headed home.

12 Hours