Sunday, November 20, 2011

Day 66 - Smokin'!

Today was awesome!

I started by working on the filleting and the fiberglassing of the port side chine. Of course, that went more quickly than yesterday and I was done in nothing flat. Then I taped the transom. One layer of 10oz 8" wide glass went from one corner, up the side, all the way across the transom and back down the other side.

Switched back over to the other chine and scraped the excess epoxy from yesterday. Because it's been so cold, the temperature in the shed had dropped to 45F this morning so the epoxy was pretty gooey. Made it easy to scrape off.

Now on to the hull. That's one big area, so I made up several batches of epoxy, pouring them on the hull and spreading them with the roller. Once the entire starboard side was done I climbed up on the hull with the roll of fiberglass I cut yesterday and keeping the edge of the fiberglass on the fairbody I rolled it out towards the bow.


That's a lot of glass!

I trimmed the excess at the bow, rolled the glass into the epoxy, added more to fill the dry spots and one side was done.


I wasn't going to do the other side tonight, so i was cleaning up to head home when a friend stopped by the chat. She stayed for about half an hour and as I was headed out I touched the chine I had worked on and discovered it was barely tacky. Whoo Hoo! So I took my coat off and got to work on the other side of the hull. As usual this side took less time that the first and in an hour and a half the hull was done!


Tomorrow I'll start on the sides. This will be a challenge as I only need a piece of glass 40" wide to do the side and wrap up over the chine, but my fiberglass is 60" wide. So I either cut a single long piece that I then have to cut to width, or I can cut multiple pieces and overlap as I go along the hull. I'm leaning towards the latter, but we'll see what tomorrow brings.

9 Hours