Friday, November 18, 2011

Day 63 - 60 grit

sandpaper is your friend when you're taking off a lot of material.

Today was really just a continuation of yesterday. I spent at least an hour with the sander working on the bow. I may spend a little more time working on it, but it's pretty close to where I want it.


The transition from the hull through the chines and to the sides looks pretty good!

I made a stop tonight at Home Depot before going over to the shed to pick up new filters for the fans and also look to see if I could find an adapter to hook the shop vac up to the sander. There wasn't anything specific, but they had a hose kit that I thought might work so I brought it home. Sure enough, it had enough parts so I was in luck. It made the sanding much more pleasant by keeping most of the sawdust out of the air.

And a lot of sanding will be a part of this project methinks. After working on the bow I did some sanding on the chine-to-sides joint that was epoxied last night and the 1/4" plywood scarf. Then I made some really smooth peanut butter for fairing and worked on building up enough material in the chine-to-sides joint to be able to sand a nice round curve for the fiberglass to run over.


I also used some of the peanut butter to smooth and fill-in the other plywood scarf joints in preparation for final sanding.

Tomorrow will be spent sanding all the epoxy from tonight and then I'll draw the lines on the hull that will help me place the fiberglass for the sides. Renn also calls for a spray rails (used to deflect water and spray from coming up the sides). I'm of mixed feelings about installing the spray rails. It seems other builders are about 50-50 about them.

4 Hours