Friday, November 18, 2011

Day 64 - Preparation

Very little to report tonight. I spent a couple hours cleaning in preparation for tomorrow. The shop vac got a good workout getting as much sawdust off the floor and boat as possible.

Then I worked on putting layout lines on the boat for lining up the various layers of fiberglass to be applied tomorrow. After sanding the epoxy that I applied yesterday (it hadn't fully set up by tonight as the temperature in the shed has been a little cool with the single digit temps we're having) I'll be applying epoxy and fiberglass in the following order.

1) A fillet and a strip of fiberglass along the inside shelf-to-chine joints. I'll also paint the bottom of the shelves with epoxy.

2) Continue the three layers of fiberglass along the keel. Remember I stopped just before the scarf between the 1/2" and 1/4" plywood waiting for the second layer of 1/4" to be laid down.

3) A strip of 10oz fiberglass along the hull-to-transom joint running fully from side to side.

4) Three layers of 10oz fiberglass along the chine overlapping the chine-to-hull joint and the chine-to-side joint.

5) A single layer of 10oz fiberglass on each half of the bottom of the hull stretching from the keel to over the chine-to-side joint.

6) And finally the sides with a single layer of 6oz fiberglass.

I don't think I'll get it all done tomorrow, but certainly should have it done by Sunday evening. Then the tedious task of fairing will begin. Hopefully I'll be starting out with a hull that's in pretty good shape (it looks like it is, but until the straightedge is applied...), but we'll see after the fiberglass goes on.

I've decided to install the spray rails, but further thought is required on how far to extend them along the hull from the bow as well as their size.

3 Hours