Saturday, November 26, 2011

Day 72 - On your knees!

Ouch. Mine hurt. On them all day. Literally.

The epoxy I put on the hull yesterday wasn't nearly cured enough to work on so it was on to the next task I'd been dreading; the inside-the-hull shelves-to-sides joint. Coincidentally, just yesterday there was a discussion about whether or not to fillet and tape this joint, and again it was split 50-50. I decided to do it just because having it done make me more comfortable. So I cut a bunch of three inch wide strips of 7oz glass left over from doing the sides, moved my epoxy station under the hull and got to work. After working all day on it, this is the result.


That long brown line is the result of mixing lots of small batches of epoxy, six ounces at a time, keeping a cup of straight epoxy and a cup of peanut butter going all the time. First you paint the shelf and the side with a coat of epoxy, then you trowel in a fillet of peanut butter, then you lay the fiberglass over the fillet and then you put enough epoxy on the glass to fill it in and then move on to the next strip of glass. The strips of glass were no longer than two feet (and sometimes less) keeping them manageable, and too, it takes a lot of peanut butter to make that fillet so I didn't want to have too long a line to manage. Plus there was a lot of back and forth as the resin, hardener, microballons and sawdust were kept at the transom area as the triangular braces for the jig made a convenient work area.

Anyways, I think there's about 55 feet of joint that got done today, plus I did most of the joints where the framing meets the shelves. Tomorrow I'll finish the three I didn't get done tonight and then it's back to sanding.

Oh, by the way, this is the 3M 7500 series respirator I'm wearing to handle the fumes and dust I'm making. Pretty comfortable as I can wear it all day, like today, without any problems. I sound like Darth Vader when I exhale through the mask though. :-)


8.5 Hours