Sunday, December 4, 2011

Day 77 - Black is black

Huh?

Much work got done today and it was a long one. Short post, lots of pictures, I'm tired.

Sanded the skim coat from yesterday, vaccuumed and washed the boat with water and ammonia. Carefully ran my hands over it feeling for imperfections that needed to be sanded flat (little good that it did). Found every bubble, cut the fiberglass out, marked them and then filled them with peanut butter.


I've been thinking about how to mark the waterline on the boat. Convex surfaces and straight lines don't work very well together. I had an Ah Ha! moment and rented a self-leveling rotary laser. Essentially a laser that spins in the horizontal axis and projects a line around a room. Normally used in construction, but perfect for my needs.


That red line is the laser running down the side, across the chine and down the hull towards the bow. I used a Sharpie to make tick marks every so often.


And then I used those lines to put on painters tape to try to keep the epoxy where I want it.


Ta Da! A waterline! Next step was to mix up some epoxy mixed with graphite powder and coat the hull. The graphite makes for a very hard, tough and slippery surface, exactly what you want on the bottom of a boat. I put two coats on four hours apart and this is what I've got so far.



It'll get one more coat tomorrow and then we'll see how well the tape worked and if it'll come off!

Last thing to do before this gets flipped is get spray rails installed. I'll start work on those tomorrow.

13 Hours