Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Day 90 - Finally...

The flotation tank is done. Well, basically. :-)

I got part way started tonight and then a friend and her daughter and son stopped by to visit and see the boat. All were appropriately impressed. ;-)

After we talked for a while I got back to work. The bottom side of the deck and its' edges plus the top side of the deck brace got a coat of epoxy and then the deck brace was epoxied and screwed down, and the excess epoxy was turned into peanut butter. A thick strip was laid down the top of the deck brace while a smaller amount was applied to the top edge of the vertical piece and nailers. Then the deck was laid in place and screwed down. More peanut butter was made and put into the gaps between the deck and the sides and bowstem. There was a large area, three inches square, where the sides, deck, chines and hull all coincide. This area was filled in and smoothed to continue the level area of the deck. This will eliminate any places for water to pool. Last I coated the top of the deck with a coating of epoxy. This will probably be the last interior bare wood surface to be coated such. There is still several areas of fiberglass and epoxy to be laid down so I'm not done with it yet!


I'm out of town for the next three days; when I come back I'll fillet and fiberglass the side-to-deck joint, install the deck plate, install the rope locker vertical piece, paint the interior of the rope locker and then I can think about installing the first of the upper deck and shelf pieces.

2.5 Hours