Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Day 94 - Piece by piece

Progress on the shelves is being made one piece at a time. With the curve of the hull and the width of the shelves the most efficient use of the plywood is small pieces, but that means more time and fitting. I got five more pieces fitted; two port and two starboard back from the bow.



You'll note that they're very uneven on the inside. That's by design. I'm getting them close on the outside, then I'll make a jig and by using the outside as a guide draw an inside line to cut to. In the cabin and the cuddy those inside cuts will be 21 degrees inward to provide some inward slant to the walls/windows.

The fifth piece was put in place midway down the port side.


Why out in the middle of the shelf? Two reasons; one, because there's still some curve coming around the hull and I wanted to cut a long straight piece for here, and two, because from the rear edge of this piece to the transom is the rear deck and the shelves will be wider there. The rear edge of this piece also defines the rear bulkhead.

I also worked on fixing an old boo-boo tonight. When I cut the shelf piece that spanned the gap from the transom corner piece to the shelves coming down from the bow while the hull was upside down I somehow managed to cut it 3/4" too narrow. Tonight I cut a piece to fill that gap and will trim it to shape tomorrow.


Along with continuing work on the shelves tomorrow I also have to fix this boo-boo.


This piece at the stern got cut too wide initially so I have to trim it down as well.

Technically I don't have to fix these things as they have no structural effect at all, but I would know it was there and if I don't fix it now I'd never be happy about it. :-)

More snow today. The neighbors put up lights on their bushes and it was pretty to look at. The picture's iffy, but you get the idea.


4 Hours