Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Day 84 - Fingertip control

First day back to work after flipping the boat two days ago. First order of business was to get stuff reorganized and put away. Next up was removing all the internal braces from the inside of the hull, setting them outside. I collected all the 2x6 scraps and cut four pieces to make a third furniture dollie, two just wasn't enough last time. Then I cut the 2x4 braces getting rid of the supports at the ends that had been used to hold the shelves in place.

To get into the boat to remove the braces I clambered over the transom through the outboard cutout and that just wasn't going to work. I contemplated buying a small step ladder but decided that wasn't going to work so I built a set of steps.


Once the steps were built it was time to move the boat back to its original position on the floor. I had traced around the corner legs before we flipped and now I needed to get it back into place to get the jig back to level. I rolled a dolly under each end and one in the middle and starting at the front, then the middle and then the back jacked it up about an inch and blocked it up.


I screwed some wood scraps to the floor to denote the two corners I needed to move to and then grabbed the transom end of the boat and pulled! And Holy Cow! I almost yanked it across the shed! I went up to the bow and pulled and it moved just as easily. I worked back and forth and got it almost exactly lined up! Less than a 1/4" isn't bad at all.



I lowered it back down, put a level on it across the transom and along the stringers and what do you know, but it's right back to where it was upside down. Yay!



With the boat being so easy to move while on the dollies that sets the stage for moving the boat from the shed to the trailer. The way the boat and the shed sit right now there's no way to get the trailer in to where the boat is and the plan all along has been to disassemble the shed down to the floor, rotate the boat and then move it onto the trailer. The process today confirms that the plan is viable. Woot!

4 Hours