Saturday, December 10, 2011

Day 82 - Prep, prep, prep

Whew! What a night. Ok, here's the list.

First I pulled the tape I had put on the bottom of the spray rails to cover the holes between the strips of plywood I filled with epoxy last night and pulled all the screws.

Next I built a jig to screw to the bottom of the Skilsaw to trim the spray rails to the same width. I had aligned the sloped edge and let the 90 degree side be off. In some places the difference between the three layers of plywood was as much as 1/8". After attaching the jig to the saw I very carefully trimmed the spray rails. Now I hadn't thought about this ahead of time, but cutting with the blade on the top of the saw kicking all the sawdust almost straight up meant I was working in a constant rain of sawdust! When I got done I was covered!

Grabbed the handsaw and cut the spray rails off flush at the bow. I'll add some curve to them after the boat is flipped. I also used the router to round over the 90 degree corner on the spray rails.

I let the sawdust settle and then swept the hull, sides and spray rails to get rid of the worst of the sawdust. I made up a batch of epoxy and lightly coated the top of the spray rails I had just cut, then made a little more and turned it into peanut butter which I used to do final fairing on the top edge and then to fill in the screw holes.


I really didn't want to do any epoxy work as it needs time to set up, but this is the last opportunity to do this while it's easy to do (instead of upside down). I'm leaving two heaters running tonight to keep the temperature up. It was 75 degrees inside when I left. Hopefully that'll help the epoxy set up before tomorrow afternoon.

Then it was on to prepping underneath the hull for tomorrow. I clambered forward to the bow and removed all the screws holding the 4x4 bow stem support in place and pulled it out. The hull shifted just a little so I took the 4x4 and put it under the edges of the hull to help support it when I took the horse out.

The horse was next. Pulled the screws on the side supports, then removed the triangle braces and kicked the legs out and the hull didn't move at all! Yes!

Took the 2x6 and slid it under the jig and measured to length and cut it and a spare 2x4 for legs and added them to the jig. It lines up underneath the keel so it will become a major support point.


Looks kind of empty doesn't it?

Put stuff away, cleaned up and called it a night.

Tomorrow is the BIG DAY. I'll be up bright and early to install three cross braces inside, jack the jig up and move it closer to the wall, move everything out of the shed to the garage, sweep and vacuum the floor, vacuum and wash the hull to get rid of the sawdust, take down the tent, order pizza and pop, then wait to see who shows up. :-/

5 Hours