Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Day 85 - How...

do you eat an elephant?

I've spent a lot of time the past few weeks doing design work on the interior of the boat. I'm veering further away from Renns' plans as I have my own specific ideas about what I want inside.

The start of that was today with a trip to Home Depot to get more plywood. The interior will be done with AC plywood instead of marine plywood. It's about 1/3 the cost. One sheet of 1 1/8" to cut up to use for blocking between the stringers and the sides. Blocking provides cross-hull reinforcement to help keep the hull from flexing and folding like a book, a place to attach things and a way to delineate sections of the boat (cuddy, cabin, rear deck). Three sheets of 3/4" for the decking. And seven sheets of 1/2" for the superstructure. Hauled them into the shed and stacked them on the floor, hopefully in the order I'll use them. :-)


Then I stepped back and thought "What next?" There's just so much to do it's a little overwhelming. I suppose if I'd done it before it'd be easier, but I haven't so...

I decided to work on cleaning up the shelves. There was lots of drips of epoxy, sharp edges of fiberglass, rough cut edges of plywood and scarfs to cleanup. I grabbed the jigsaw and sander and went to work.

When I got to the bow there was a lot of work to do. There was a difference of almost 1/8" in height between the two shevles where they came together. A minute or two with the six inch sander and that problem was solved!


A good vacumming and everything was shipshape. I've ordered more fiberglass as I'm almost out of 10oz and I forgot to order 24oz woven. The 10oz will be used to tape the inside of the sides-to-chines, sides-to-transom and transom-to-hull. The 24oz will be used to glass the stringer-to-hull joints. Woven fiberglass is much stronger than cloth so that joint will be very strong!

I also need to order more epoxy as I'm almost out and I have a long way to go.

A good nights work.

3 Hours