Monday, December 5, 2011

Day 79 - Wet wood

I went and picked up the trailer today. Man it's big and even with my full size pickup it was a handfull. I clearly have much to learn about driving with something that big on the back.


Made another run to Home Depot tonight as the precipitation has stopped for a while. I needed one more 16' piece of lumber. It will be used to span the length of the jig right down the middle to help support the weight of the boat at the keel.

Then, on to the spray rails. I'd flipped the lumber yesterday and screwed it down, and when I took it up tonight it was still wet, but I need to get moving on it as I've planned for flipping the hull Saturday.

I'll need to scarf three 8' pieces together and they had to be cut on one edge at 30 degrees. So first I spent some time figuring out what I wanted to keep, and what to cut away. It was interesting when I picked out the lumber as I found the most knot free was 2x3's. I've spent some time thinking about that and I still can't explain why they appear to be the best. Next I measured and marked eight inches from the end of each board, stood them on edge, lined the end of one board up with the mark on the next, screwed a scrap piece of plywood to them to hold them in place and cut the ends with the skilsaw.

Then I needed to figure out how to safely cut that 30 degree angle on such a narrow piece of wood. Normally one would do that with a table saw, but I don't have one and wasn't going to buy one for this. So I built a jig by screwing a 2x3 with a 3/8" scrap of plywood underneath to my three sawhorses. Next I screwed spacers to the 2x3 to provide the proper separation, put the 2x3 to be cut up against the spacers, screwed it to a sawhorse and went to town with the skilsaw set at the 30 degree angle. The wood is still so wet that it took quite a while to cut the 8' length.



Eventually I got all six cut and because they're still so wet I screwed them back down to the floor to keep them from warping and put the fan right next to them to try and speed the drying.


I'm hopeful they'll be dry enough with the increased surface area and reduced size to glue together tomorrow night. We'll see.

3.5 Hours