Thursday, December 15, 2011

Day 86 - Gettin' with it

Is what I gotta do.

Once again I showed up tonight, discombobulated and unprepared to get anything done. There's just too many things to do and I need to make a plan and work it.

So tonight I started work on the bow flotation tank. It should really be called a crash tank. This is an area of the lower forward hull that will be boxed and sealed off. It's main purpose is so that if you hit something in the water at speed and crack or crush the hull at the bow this will hopefully stop or slow down water intrusion. Hopefully. ;-)

Anyways I spent a lot of time measuring and studying things. My stringers are level side to side, but slightly lower at the stern than the bow, so I'm going to measure everything from them. I've permanently marked station 6, a line across the hull approximately 10 feet from the tip of the bow, right where the shelves start to curve inward. This will become the forward and aft primary measuring point.

Next I cleaned up the bow stem area with the sander. There was lots of epoxy drool from the work in that area.

Then I started work on the blocking. It's pretty tricky as the hull obviously curves so I had to cut 1 1/8" ply to width to fit between the stringers. Push it down until the corners contact the hull. Then using a homemade scribe (a giant version of the compass you used in school) I traced the hull onto the ply and cut it to shape with the skilsaw, put it back in, marked it for adjustments and tried it again. I'm only trying to get it close, I'll fill the gaps with peanut butter. I got the one at the flotation tank and the one at station 6 done before it was time to call it a night.

Tomorrow I'll cut the one for the rear bulkhead, then figure out how to scribe and cut the pieces for the flotation tank. Much pondering will be required me thinks. :-)

3 Hours