Monday, December 19, 2011

Day 89 - Holyfreeholy...

Well, I'm getting close to final assembly of the flotation tank. Small final details like refitting the deck piece to fit around the newly laid fiberglass at the bow, trimming the rear edge flush with the vertical piece and cutting a hole in the deck for an access plate (store bought this time, it needs to be watertight!) were done.

Then the stinky dangerous part started. I bought a gallon of Interlux Bilgekote gray paint to use for painting the the under deck areas that might be exposed to water like the bilges, flotation tank and forward rope locker.

Now I've never liked painting before, but after using this paint I just might change my mind. It was $70 for the gallon, but it has so much solids in it I was having to constantly stir it to keep them from settling out and when it was applied it did an amazing job of coverage. It was a joy to work with.

The downside?

It's so loaded with VOCs (volatile organic compounds) that the only way to safely work with it is to wear a special mask (which I've been using for my epoxy work anyway) and to use a fan to ventilate the shed. It was a bear to keep things warm with both heaters running full bore but it was absolutely necessary.

I painted the inside of the flotation tank, the bottom of the deck and the inside of the vertical piece of the rope locker.





With that I closed things down and headed home.

Tomorrow I'll epoxy the deck into place, install the access plate and hopefully the rope locker vertical wall.

2.5 Hours