Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Day 100 - Really?

Well, I was originally going to title this post, "Ribs Baby!", but then I realized it was build day 100. Wow, what a milestone, especially since there's not that many more than that left before the shed comes down. Yikes!

Anyways, today was the first prep day for Saturday and Sunday. This weekend will be a big fiberglass party so I'm doing the little stuff (and big stuff too!). Today I put the forward bulkhead together and set it aside. There's work yet to do on it, but it'll have to wait.

Next I mixed up a batch of epoxy to finish filling all the seams and holes in the shelves. Friday they'll be sanded smooth.

The last thing I worked on tonight, but the one that took all the time, was rough cutting out a set of ribs that go between the stringers and the sides in the cabin.



When I cut these the first time they were much shorter. I was going to run a floor across these and set the fuel tanks down next to the stringers. After I cut enough for the first side I realized that I wouldn't have enough space to run my conduits (which will be used to carry wiring and hoses below the deck). So back to square one. And the tanks will just have to sit about two inches higher.

No big deal.

But I did discover that with the new skilsaw I can (after tracing with a pattern) cut one of these ribs out in about three minutes. And I can do a nifty job of cutting a small pile of big scrap pieces of plywood into a big pile of little scrap pieces of plywood. :-)

4 Hours