Thursday, January 12, 2012

Day 107 - Decks going down

I'm procrastinating on the cuddy work. Part of it is that it's going to be a royal pain, part of it is I'm still working out details and I'm afraid to start before I've got it down pat.

But that doesn't mean I didn't get anything done. I've been really frustrated with not having any decks down in the hull so I spent the evening working on that.

I ripped a sheet of 3/4" plywood in half, making the cut at 21 degrees to match the angle of the hull and then cut the two sheets to about seven feet. Each one was butted up against the forward bulkhead on top of the ribs, scribed to match the hull and cut again at 21 degrees. I then drew a line under the deck against the stringer and cut that edge. And finally with both side decks in place I took a line from the shelves where I want the rear bulkhead to be and cut the decks to length.

Next up was the decking between the stringers. In the cabin the deck will sit below next to the hull between the stringers to allow for a lower roofline while keeping the interior height. I'm 6' 3" and there will be no stooping in my cabin!

Fortunately the stringers are exactly the same distance apart, 30 1/4", the length of the hull so I cut another piece of 3/4" ply to width and approximate length, rounded the forward corners to fit the fillet at the forward blocking and laid it in. I took the line off the decking over the ribs and cut it to length.

The last thing I did was cut eight pieces of 2x4 10" in length. My plan was (you'll notice past tense) was to epoxy those 2x4s to the hull to attach brackets to. I was planning on strapping the tanks down by running straps over the top of the tank, down the side, through slots in the decking, through the brackets, back up through slots and connecting to the other end of the strap.

On the way home I realized what a poor plan that was. Instead I'm going to put those brackets on the decking, through bolting the brackets to the decking and running the straps through a bracket, over the tank, through the other bracket, back over the tank to the other end of the strap. A much simpler system that eliminates the holes in the decking and trying to epoxy the 2x4s to an already unevenly fiberglassed hull from the woven roving.



Now all this decking wonderfullness can't be installed just yet as there are more things to do to prepare for it, but it felt good to get them done none the less!

3 Hours