Sunday, January 15, 2012

Day 111 - Epoxy work suspended

Well, today is the last day for doing epoxy work for a few days. It's just too darned cold, dropping to zero or below at night and upper single digits during the day. The electric heater can't hardly keep up and I'm not willing to leave the propane heater running unattended so it was 43 degrees in the shed this morning. I did a little epoxy work today, but no more until it warms back up.

With that said, I did get some work done today. I started by cutting and fitting a piece of 3/4" blocking at the rear of the cabin. It's a nice tight fit.

Then I went forward and started work in the cuddy. I first started by cutting a piece of 1/2" ply for blocking to fit at the front end of the deck, but extended it up to the level of the bed, 10 inches above the stringers. A small pile of nailers out of 1 1/8" plywood was cut as I would use them on the sides of the 1/2" ply to provide more surface area for gluing and nailing.

I pondered for a while how I would lay out the rest of the decking and vertical supports and then started cutting two side panels to go between the bulkhead and the vertical rise. I got real fancy trying to make the first one fit around a bunch of angles, finally got disgusted with the entire thing, threw it on the scrap pile and started over. I decided it would be simpler to set the sides on top of the stringers, butt one end against the bulkhead and the other end next to the vertical riser. I've got plenty of space on the top of the stringers to set the decking so this will work fine.

I mixed up some epoxy (living on the edge I am!) and glued the nailers to the vertical rises (two, one at stringer height and one at the top edge), the two side panels and the port front side of the bulkhead.



As you can see I've coated the knots with epoxy. It's surprising how much epoxy they'll soak up.

Last I decided to install the blocking at the rear of the deck. I'm going to be stepping over it quite a bit so I decided it was important to get it safely secured. All it's edges were coated with epoxy plus the section in under the deck, then I coated the lower edges with peanut butter and pushed it down onto the hull. Fillets were done on both sides at all the joints and then 10oz fiberglass was put down.



When it warms up I'll be able to finish fillets along the sides of the decks and then two layers of fiberglass will be laid down.

In the meantime, I'll continue making sawdust, cutting the pieces for the cuddy. After this area is finished I'll need to think about getting the rear bulkhead built, which will require additional thought on the conduit, which will require thought about ribs for the rear deck, but I'm waiting for the third tank to arrive. I already know I'll have to raise the stringer height and that brings me back around to the rear bulkhead. :-)

6 Hours