Saturday, January 28, 2012

Day 120 - Bunk reassembly

Whew! Much more painting and fiberglassing was done today. I got a late start intentionally as I needed to give the paint time to dry. Technically I was supposed to wait 24 hours, but I pushed the envelope a little as I'm keeping the humidity down so low.

First I added a second coat of paint to the bottom side of the deck so as to give it some time to dry before handling.


Next up was adding the second coat to the insides of the storage lockers.




Sure is white! Last up for the painting was the hatches.



You'll note that there's still only three hatches, not four. Yup, I still haven't gotten the fourth one put together. Somehow there always seems to be one thing that refuses to get finished. Oh well, as long as it's not the boat! :-)

The paint on the deck had dried enough to handle gently so I mixed up some epoxy and painted its edges and then the tops of the nailers (twice), then made peanut butter and coated same. I put towels on the shelves (just in case!) and set the deck up on them, climbed up in the boat and carefully swung and flipped the deck around to get it right side up, then just as carefully set it in place. I drove screws in strategic places and picked up the squeeze-out.

Now the whole time while I'm working with this enamel paint I'm using my mask and things are going along fine. Then I stuck my head inside the storage lockers to be able to scrape up the rest of the squeeze-out and Holy Cow! the fumes were so strong my eyes started to water. So I went and opened the door, cranked up the propane heater, both burners, and turned up the electric heater. All combined, they held the temperature up while letting the air circulate.

I made more peanut butter and put fillets and fiberglass on the bulkhead-to-deck joint and the hull-to-deck joint. What was left of the epoxy was used to coat the top side of the support lip for the hatches.



Tomorrow I'll pull all the screws and assemble the center hatch cover (promise!). I bought some cut-off disks tonight as I need to figure out a way to cut the screws off that are sticking out from the hinges and latches. I think I'll paint the inside of the cuddy as well. I'm not fast at any of this, so it's likely it'll take all day to do. ;-)

5.5 Hours