Sunday, January 8, 2012

Day 104 - Getting down to it

Well, I had an offer of more help today from Caitlin and Kenneth Goettler and I gladly accepted.

First off was another trip to Home Depot for more stuff, then a stop at Western Auto for more deck plates and then off to the shed.

Clean up was the first order of business. I took apart the epoxy spreading area from yesterday, swept up all the sawdust from the past week plus the strands of roving, put away all the tools then set to cutting out the ribs that I didn't get to yesterday. I set the forward bulkhead on the table and took the front panel off. Caitlin and Kenneth showed up and then they got the grand tour and the plan for the day.

We would work on the ribs; cutting out the holes for the conduits and then installing them. I drilled the holes in the bulkhead for conduits, set the first of the ribs up to draw patterns for their holes. I set up my drill press and set Kenneth to work cutting holes in the starboard ribs.


While Kenneth was working on his ribs, Caitlin was working on fitting her port side ribs into place. When I cut and fit them the first time I didn't account for the thickness of the fiberglass roving we put in yesterday.


Then they swapped; Caitlin cutting holes and Kenneth fitting the ribs.


Quite the pile of disks eh'? The last step before installing the ribs was to make sure they were the same height as the stringers. Kenneth measured and I trimmed using the planer and then Caitlin and Kenneth got down to installing their ribs, making epoxy and peanut butter.


How'd they do?

Awesome!


Now I wasn't entirely a sloth during this process. I made sure they had enough fiberglass to do their work and in between I worked on building the two conduits that run side-to-side in the bulkhead. I failed to account for the thickness of the PVC fittings so I had to take a length of pipe, cut the joints at a 45 degree angle and then glue them together with 3M 4200. Tomorrow I'll reinforce those joints with more 4200.


So, we've reached a point where nothing more could be done today. Kenneth and Caitlin headed home, I left for dinner. They want to come back tomorrow to work, which will be great. The company and hard work is much appreciated!

Let's see...

7.5 Hours (me) + 5 Hours (Caitlin) + 5 Hours (Kenneth) = 17.5 Hours