Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Day 112 - Desperate times

Require desperate measures.

It's been single digits and below zero the past few days and that's put boat building on a complete hold. The poor electric heater's been running flat out and it's barely holding the line at 35 degrees and that's way too cold to be working for me. Even when I fire up the propane heater it takes an hour to raise the temperature ten degrees and that's just not worth it.

So I've spent the past couple days doing...

Nothing.

Arggh.

In truth I am getting something done, but it's all mental. In thinking about the next next things I've made some changes in plans. One of the biggest is the placement of the batteries. Originally I was going to put them just behind the rear bulkhead, but I've decided to move them to the back of the boat. That reduces the length of the run of 4/0 cable (big stuff!) and changes the weight distribution further aft. It also reduces the complexity of the wiring forward which is a good thing.

Another change is in the cuddy and the layout of the storage areas under the bunks. I've been trying to figure out where to put fishing poles and it finally occurred to me that I could segment the space such that the poles fit in that area. I'll get to throw out and rebuild yet again, but it's better to do before it becomes cut out and rebuild. :-)

But back to today. I decided I needed to do something to get back on track. With this cold snap has come dry weather so I made a run to my favorite store to get more plywood and pink foam. I discovered that they had brought in some beautiful 3/4" cabinet grade plywood, seven plys (literally seven thin sheets of wood bonded into one) instead of the five I've been using and it's AC (A means knot free on one side, C means it has knots on the other). It will be interesting to see if it has any voids.

I also picked up a dual head propane burner and on my way back to the shed I purchased a 40lb cylinder. I'll fill it tomorrow and I think with the three burners I'll be able to get back to work, plus it will allow me to get a faster start when things warm up.

Since I was at the shed I decided to get some work done. The third item I picked up was two sheets of 4'x8'x2" pink foam. I think I'll use at least all of this, but I'm guessing, so we'll see. I cut strips of foam, then cut them to length and used them to fill more of the gaps in between the ribs. Forgot to take pictures, I'll get some tomorrow.

Oh, and along the line of thought of desperate measures...

The porta-potty arrived today. :-)

3 Hours