Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Day 115 - Bunks!

Yay! Work on the bunks has started!

And then stopped. :-)

I got to the shed tonight and swapped the single propane burner for the double. Holy Cow! Next thing I knew the temperature was soaring! This is awesome, but it does come with a trade-off. It still takes time to bring the materials up to temp, so I think I'll have to figure out how to manage the burners and maybe bring the temp up a little slower. We'll see.

Anyways, I vacuumed the cuddy area and knocked off all the little peanut butter pieces that had fallen all over last night in the frantic mad dash to keep up with the epoxy going off and then sanded the insides of the storage lockers. I was right about that vertical piece being high so I sanded it level and then carefully sanded all the other pieces level.

I decided I really wanted to get a bunk deck piece done so I pulled out some more cardboard and made another template.

One of the benefits of being so careful about my measurements when building the hull has been the payoff in both sides being so close to a mirror to each other. I can basically flip my patterns and they're within an 1/8" of the other side.

I put the pattern on the last two pieces of 1/2" plywood, traced it out, clamped the two pieces together and cut them out. Put the first piece in the hull, scribed the little bit I was off on the hull and trimmed it down. Took the sander to get it even closer and TaDa! The first bunk deck piece!


Now, the entry way is to your left in the above photo, and the bow is to your right. The compartment on the right is a storage locker, which means the compartment on the left is where you'll step into and is also the space for the porta-potty. I unboxed it tonight and set it in place and it'll work just fine.

I have to figure out how to secure it in place, and a portion of the bunk decking will cover it, so I have to figure out how to hinge that hatch, but still provide enough support so it'll support my weight. That'll take some figuring, but it doesn't have to be done right away, I'm a couple days away. Still have to fit the other deck piece, cut hatches, paint, epoxy, yada, yada, yada...

I also put a layer of fiberglass in the bottom of all the storage lockers and put epoxy on all the bare wood still left in them. That took way more time than I thought it would, but it's done. However I did forget to get the last nailer installed DDD, so I'll have to do that tomorow.





It was a good, if long night. I'm looking forward to getting  the other bunk decking piece done, this cuddy is getting close to finished, at least for the stuff I can do for now. Finish work will come later, and can be done anytime. That deadline looms. :-)

5 Hours