Saturday, January 7, 2012

Day 102 - Prep and cleanup day

Today was prep day for tomorrows big fiberglassing day.

First off I cut the ribs apart, trimmed the excess fiberglass off, flipped 'em over, coated them with epoxy and put on fiberglass.


Then it was on to sanding the shelves. Both the gap filling peanut butter on the sides and the epoxy filling the gaps and holes on the top got sanded down. And while I was at it I took the sander to the PVC pipes on the bow. Didn't take but a couple minutes to smooth them right down.


Last was cleanup inside the hull. I swept and vacuumed the entire inside and really worked at the crevices between the stringers and the hull. I had hoped to get the last of the sanding on the hull done and a final washdown done, but that just didn't happen. I have to sand the areas of the hull I'm going to fiberglass because about 72 hours after epoxy is applied it hardens to the point that the only way to get new epoxy to adhere is mechanically instead of chemically. So there's work to be done before the fiberglassing starts.


The plan for tomorrow is: do the sanding first, vacuum again, wash the inside, fiberglass the sides-to-chines and sides-to-transom joints, then the outside of the stringers to the hull, the inside of the stringers to the hull and finally the hull to the transom. It's an ambitious plan, but once I start tomorrow I'll probably work right through to the finish no matter how long it takes.

I want this done.

3.5 Hours