Saturday, February 4, 2012

Day 127 - Rear decking

Today I started working on the rear deck. After marking lines on the hull to match what will be the new height of the stringers I took down a sheet of the 3/4" plywood and started cutting. The first cut was 15 degrees for the transom, the second and third was at 21 degrees for the sides and last I notched for the side supports. Rounded the corners and up she went on the boat.


It's a tight squeeze side to side and I'm a little concerned that once I put the extra blocking piece between the stringers and the sides in that it won't fit at all. That may necessitate cutting it in two pieces but I'll worry about that later.

In the meantime I cut and trimmed six more blocking pieces, three for each side, using the pattern that I'd used for the pieces further forward in the hull and temporarily set them in place.



There's much more space between these, but as I'm using 3/4" ply instead of 1/2" I think I'll be ok.

Last I cut strips of 1/2" plywood, epoxied and screwed two to the stringers on each side. I took the 15 degree piece I cut off the 3/4" plywood for the deck and cut three pieces to length and epoxied and screwed them to the transom.


You'll notice that the strips of 1/2" on the stringers stair step and only go part way forward. That's because I haven't built the rear bulkhead yet and as it will sit directly on the stringers the rest of the 1/2' strips will have to wait to be cut to length to butt up against the bulkhead.

We've had a few days of warmer weather, wind and rain and that has cleared the snow on the beach and today was real nice so I took all the scrap lumber and cardboard down to the fire ring for another bonfire.

Afterwards I installed the hinges on the hatches, the door for the rope locker, the door in the forward bulkhead and the grate on the port side. My knees were hurting so I called it a day.

Tomorrow I'll start work on the rear bulkhead. While it will look simple when finished I suspect it will be a real pain to construct. We'll see.

7 Hours