Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Day 145 - Try again

Today was cool, I bought a new tool!

Yep, I've been trying desperately not to buy a table saw, but I finally had to do it. I needed to rip a bunch of one inch strips of 1/4" plywood and while Mark Petz was willing to help out with his I decided it was time to just bite the bullet.

So down to my favorite store. I'd done my research and decided which one I wanted to buy, but when I got there they didn't have any. <grrr> So much for the web site being accurate. Smartphone to the rescue, research the table saw that cost $100 less or the one that cost $100 more. Grit my teeth and buy the more expensive one. Generally you get what you pay for and I hope so in this case.

Went back to the shed and got to work. I cleaned up the scarfs from yesterday and put the panels back up temporarily to get them out of the way. Still haven't figured out windows yet.

Unpacked the new saw, read the instructions (I know, I know, so take away my man card!) and got to work making sawdust. 20 or so strips later I had enough to get started on the cuddy roof.

My plan is to create internal ribs between the two 1/4" panels. Now because the roof is curved those ribs have to bend and trying to get anything thicker than 1/4" to bend would deform the roof. So I'll be laying down four strips of the 1/4" for each rib to get the thickness to match the insulation.

The first set of strips was cut and temporarily screwed in place up at the cabin wall. Then I tried to figure out how to get a strip down each side. I tried several different ways and I think I've finally got it figured out. I'm going to cut and fit all the rib pieces leaving them one inch shy of the edge. That will give me something to attach the side strips to and they'll bend correctly if I stand them on edge.

That's the theory anyways, we'll see how it works out. :-)

I got two ribs done tonight. The rest will go on fairly quickly tomorrow and then I'll do battle with the edge strips. I'll pull them all apart and epoxy everything, then the insulation can be cut to fit and the top layer of 1/4" plywood added.


3 Hours