Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Day 139 - And forward again

Moving forward tonight I worked on the arch support for the forward edge of the cuddy roof. This one I had all figured out a while ago.

Started out by putting a screw a the exact side-to-side center of the arch I installed yesterday, then ran a string from that screw forward to the tip of the bow and taped it in place. I measured the width of the opening at the forward edge of the cuddy and subtracted 1/2" on each side for that measurement. Next was measuring from the joint between the top of the vertical wall of the rope locker and the bottom of the forward deck to the string line.

I cut a piece of 3/4" plywood to those dimensions and marked a vertical line exactly in the center. Then I took it into the boat and lining it up with the top center of the arch from yesterday put a screw in it to hold it in place and traced the top of the arch. This way I'll have a consistent curve all the way from the cabin wall forward.

Now this piece is meant to slant back towards the bow so I measured from that slant to the angle of the string, set the skilsaw to that angle and then cut to the line.

Made some epoxy and coated all the necessary surfaces, made peanut butter and did same, then screwed this new piece in place. Fillets and fiberglass were next and a 10oz strip was put on the front side of the new piece.




The string is about 1/4" away and the angle might not be quite right, but the height's not critical and the angle can be fixed if need be with a little sanding. This wood stuff sure makes fixing things easy. :-)

A fillet and a 10oz fiberglass strip was put on the back side of the arch I installed yesterday.


And the left over epoxy was used to put fiberglass strips on the sides of the rear cabin panel joints that didn't get done before.



Caution! Weird photo ahead! This is approximately where the cuddy roof line will be when installed.


Next up is probably the sides, but I'll have to do some scarfing to get the right size pieces so I think I'll wait to start those on Friday (I have the day off). There's lots of other things that can be done in the meantime, so tomorrow will be a day for small finishing details.

3 Hours