Friday, February 24, 2012

Day 142 - Screws and washers

are back in play again.

I took part of the day off from work to try to get a jump on the weekend. I spent part of the time visiting the local outboard dealers. Not sure which motor I'll go with yet, but I've time to ponder it.

Made a stop at Valley Lumber and bought the last of the their 1/2" and 1/4" marine plywood. Should be enough. We'll see. After reorganizing the single large pile of plywood pieces leaning against the wall into separate piles of the same thickness plywood I hauled the new into the shed.

My original plan for the sides of the cuddy and along the cabin was to cut two eight foot strips of 1/2" plywood and scarf them together lengthwise then somehow manhandle them in and out of the boat scribing and cutting as I went. After hauling the 1/2" sheets into the shed I realized just how stupid an idea that was.

So, Plan B. Since a single strip of plywood will reach from the front of the cuddy, around the side and just past the forward cabin bulkhead I started with that. There were three angles to be concerned with; one, the angle of the side to the shelves (12 degrees); two, the angle of the sides to the roof (changing from 14 degrees to 24 degrees); and three, the angle the lower sides panels and the upper sides panels meet at (6 degrees each). I cut the first panel square, hauled it into the boat and pounded it into place; it's a real tight fit!


In and out, in and out, at least half a dozen times measuring, scribing and cutting. The other challenge was the curve in the hull; up near the bow it gets pretty significant and the only way to push the side panel up against the shelf was by wedging with a 2x4 from the other side. After much work I was finally able to step back and look at what the new line looks like.


I think I'm going to like it!

Obviously doing the second side panel went much faster than the first. I traced the original panel and then epoxied the first panel in place and liberally used screws and washers into the shelf to hold it in place and force it to shape with the angles.

I then cut out the second panel and with some minor trimming, it too was wedged and screwed into place.


Once the 2x4 was pulled out the sides bent a little more inwards. There's not as much inward slant at the bow as I thought there would be so there's a gap I'll have to fill. No big deal, it's not structural, and I can't throw a cat through it, so epoxy solves all!


Port.


Starboard.


Looking forward over the top of the rear cabin wall.

I think I'll start working on the roof of the cuddy tomorrow. To insulate, or not to insulate, that is the next big question. I'm going to have to start thinking about getting light inside these spaces as well. Hmmmm...

6 Hours