Monday, February 20, 2012

Day 138 - What was once behind

is now before.

I've been puzzling for the past few days trying to figure out how I was going to install the arch piece on the forward cabin wall that supports the cuddy roof. Several crazy ideas floated around in my head, but it wasn't until tonight when I had to figure something out that the solution presented itself.

I was cleaning up all the tools and stuff from yesterday, pulling screws and cutting green epoxy and thought I was done and then looked up at the doubler for the arch on the rear cabin wall and saw the four screws up there. I went to take them out and the light went on in my head!

Duh. The solution is so simple it's embarrassing. Using 1/2" plywood left over from building the hull (there's a reason I kept the expensive stuff) cut two identical arches except one extends 1-1/2" below the line that would connect the end points of the arch. Epoxy the arches together, put some peanut butter on the top edge and the top 1-1/2" forward face of the cabin wall, then set the arch on the edge and screw it to the face.

Voila!




I will put a fillet and fiberglass on the back side of this tomorrow night and it's not going anywhere!

In one fell swope I got a huge amount of strength and support for the cuddy roof, plus a one inch wide surface to attach it to. This is awesome!

With the arch in place tomorrow I've got to work on getting the arch at the forward end of the cuddy measured out. I think I've got a plan for this already though, won't need more inspiration. Gotta save that up, doesn't happen very often. :-)

3 Hours