Sunday, February 26, 2012

Day 143 - Okay...

NOW it's big. :-)

A ton got done today, a long one, I'm tired, so this will be short.

After getting the sides installed in the cuddy yesterday, the first thing today was to get a start on the roof. I decided to see if I could do this with just a center brace running fore and aft. I'm not doing anything crazy with compound angles so this seemed doable. One 2x4 with two angles cut at the ends and screwed in place and we're off!

One inch wide doublers were cut next and glued and screwed to the inside of the cuddy sides to provide for more epoxy and screw surface.


Next I set a piece of 1/4" plywood up on top, lined it up against the back arch, drew and cut to lines for the sides and then cut a scarf with the 10" saw I rented this morning. The same one I used when I started this project way back when!


After epoxy, peanut butter and screwing the first piece of plywood down he same was done with a second piece.



Continuing the sides on towards the back was next. But I'd used up all my washers, plus I needed insulation (yes, I've decided to) so a trip to Home Depot was in order. I was fortunate to find some one inch thick sheets of EPS foam with a covering on both sides so I bought enough to do both the cuddy as well as the cabin roof.

Side measurements for the length, the angle at the back and fitting cuts were made before these too were epoxy, peanut butter and screwed into place.



Now the joint between the two side pieces is a butt joint so it required a temporary wood backer strip. Excess peanut butter was pushed into the gap and after sanding tomorrow I'll cover the outside of the joint with a strip of fiberglass. Once that cures a strip will go on the inside.



All of a sudden this thing is looking HUGE! I can no longer look over the sides into the boat and all this vertical work is quickly filling up the shed volume. Tonight when I stepped back I was truly struck with just how large it really will be. :-)

Tomorrow I'll continue work on the cuddy roof. I need to build up a structure of ribs across the top and along the edges, fit the foam and put a second layer of plywood on the roof.

I also need to cut scarfs on all my remaining 1/4" plywood. I think I have enough pieces that I can make at least one 4x8 sheet! I also need to scarf the 1/2" plywood for the upper sides. Those pieces will be longer than eight feet.

Very long, busy and productive day.

12 Hours