Friday, February 17, 2012

Day 134 - Put it together, take it apart

What once was whole is now in pieces again.

I took the rear bulkhead apart, hopefully for the last time, to fiberglass both sides of the panels. I've had a very long roll of 7oz triax fiberglass (fiberglass that has a thread weave both left-right and up-down, but also on one diagonal) that I've been saving that I bought way back when I got my first epoxy and fiberglass from a guy selling locally. The triax makes for very rigid surfaces because of the extra thread angle and I'll be using it not only for the rear bulkhead, but also the sides and roofs.

Anyways, I set the panels on the sawhorses, cut pieces of glass large enough to cover each, poured and spread epoxy, laid down the glass, rolled it in and filled in the dry spots.



Next I cut short strips of plywood I had cut on the angle yesterday to use for deck supports on the sides. They were thoroughly coated with epoxy and screwed to the hull and more epoxy applied to the joint.



The screws will be removed before the last deck panel is put in place. You'll note in the lower picture the drastic measures taken to lift the bent corner of plywood. I'm pretty sure that block won't hold under the pressure of the plywood once the braces are removed, but it really only has to hold until the fillets and fiberglass are applied to the deck-to-hull joint.

After measuring and drawing the lines on the bottom of the third deck panel I made more epoxy and coated the bottom. The Bilgekote was opened for hopefully the last time and the appropriate areas were painted in.


Finally there were two last things to paint with the Bilgekote. I noticed as I was putting the starboard deck piece in place that I had missed painting a small strip in the rearmost compartment under the pipes. I fixed that tonight by accessing the area through the round deck plate. And the bilge pump mounting plate area was painted.


I've only about an eighth of the quart can left so I'd say I estimated that one just about right! I may use the last of it in the splashwell as that's the most likely place to end up with fuel and oil.

Tomorrow night I'll fiberglass the other side of the bulkhead panels and epoxy the third rear deck panel in place.

3 Hours