Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Day 174 - Productively unproductive

Today was one of the very rare days when I was completely unprepared to get much done. The paint has had "stuff" in it, which isn't really a problem since I can touch it out with a fingertip, but it's annoying and when I've missed it leaves defects in the paint. Plus I didn't have enough paint to do a final coat on the roof. Sooo...

I did more epoxy and fiberglass on the radar mount. I pulled the screws and washers, sanded everything, then epoxied the bare areas. I turned some of the epoxy into peanut butter and filleted and fiberglassed all the joints. Tomorrow I'll sand it again and put an initial coat of paint on the inside and bottom and install it.

The extra peanut butter was used to fill the holes from installing the roof trim.

After that, since I couldn't paint, I went to Home Depot to get more paint, a clean empty paint can, paint strainers and some more mineral spirits.

I think tomorrow will be a big sanding day. I'm going to sand all the fiberglass edges from the last round of fiberglass work in preparation for the fiberglass on the sides, the roof trim pieces, the cuddy roof (which will probably get another layer of fiberglass), the underside of the cabin roof and I need to start working on the spray rail. I may or may not sand the roof with 200 grit depending on how soft the coat of paint from last night is. The sander and the shop vac will get a workout.

On another note, we've had a series of warm sunny days that seems to have finally melted the last of the condensation in the shed as it's no longer raining, but the humidity is still around 45%. Its a good time for this to happen with the serious amount of painting yet to do.

2 Hours