Sunday, April 8, 2012

Day 178 - White!

An odd sort of day that seemed to go on forever in slow motion.

All the epoxy from yesterday is hardening up nicely. It's interesting in that you can tell how hard it is by how soft it feels to a light touch. Right now it's silky smooth; hard enough that you can't leave a fingerprint, soft enough you can press a fingernail into it.

I'd like to get the front windows installed before the epoxy on the cuddy roof chemically hardens so today I worked on getting fiberglass on the outside of the forward window frames. I used some cut off fiberglass from yesterday to cut strips, then epoxied them to the outside of the frames.


After setting these aside I also did the rear door.


Then it was what now?

Since I couldn't make sawdust with the wet epoxy I decided to do some more painting in the cuddy. I took the shop vac in and started to clean the sawdust out and rediscovered that I hadn't finish sanding. So I did the sanding and then went back to the vacuuming. Which turned into cleaning the cabin. Which turned into cleaning the rear deck. :-)

Now I'd been pondering how to get more air movement in the cuddy. It doesn't take long for the fumes to build up to a point where my eyes would start to water and I was done. I was going to use a box fan with a filter, but the filter blocks a lot of the air and then it dawned on me that the shop vac does a good job of moving a lot of air so I hauled it down to the firepit to dump it out and clean the filter. Hauled it back up and set it at the entry to the cuddy with the exhaust pointed into the cuddy and the hose hanging out a window and over the side. That way I was sucking relatively fresh air in and exhausting a high volume of filtered air into the cuddy.

With that I was able to paint all the bare wood and get a second coat of paint on the roof.



As you can see, there's some epoxy drips that need to be sanded smooth. There's a couple more coats yet to do in there, plus some touch up work here and there, but it's looking good! I need to work on getting the porta-potty installed and some painting in the deck area and it'll be finished. The cuddy has turned out to be a good place to do little things that take up the extra time at the end of the day.

7 Hours