Monday, April 9, 2012

Day 179 - Blue!

Tonight I worked on getting the forward window frames installed.

First up was trimming the green glass from the frames and the door. Then I put the frames up on the cuddy and up I went after them. First thing I noticed was the significantly reduced flex in the roof! Yes!

My pencil marks on the cuddy roof from when I did the original fitting of the windows were still there and I was able to use them again tonight. No real surprise, but the frames don't fit like they did when I first cut them out. The middle and port side frames fit close enough, but the starboard frame ended up with a gap of almost 1/2" next to the side panel. Not a crisis, epoxy fixes all!

Using 2" blue tape I taped up all the outside seams around the frames, then cut some strips of 7oz glass. Epoxy, peanut butter and fillets all around later and the windows were glassed in on the inside. All the gaps, including the really wide one, were filled with peanut butter.

Port


Center
 

Starboard
 

And here's a close-up of one of the joints.


And here's the blue.


Tomorrow the green glass will be trimmed and the weave filled on the inside. The tape will be pulled and all the outside joint work will be done.

3 Hours