Sunday, April 22, 2012

Day 190 - Can't keep up

Well, another day with an amazing amount of progress. Brian came over again today and I managed to keep him busy for a lot longer than yesterday. It's hard work trying to manage work for two. :-)

First thing again was getting another coat of paint on the hull.

About the time I finished Brian showed up. I handed him the white paint and told him to paint everything that was brown and off he went with a vengence.



In addition to these areas he got all the pieces for the work in the rear deck area and the vertical support and the bottom of the cabin deck piece. He also trimmed the fiberglass over the conduit holes.

Meanwhile, I wiped down the top of the cuddy (which hadn't been done yet) and the area around the radar mount. I also did make some sawdust, but I took the table saw outside and set it up on the tailgate of the truck. :-) I cut some pieces of conduit and got them installed.





Then I made a run to Fred Meyer as I wanted something to set the tanks on for a little bit of abrasion protection. I picked up two rolls of the perforated foam stuff used to line drawers.



Brian finished his painting so I set him to work on the vertical support. Those are a little tricky to install as there's no support and you have to not only put peanut butter on the edges that make contact, but you then have to put fillets on the sides while keeping it from moving while you're pushing against it.



I was working on the rear deck installing the panels and battery shelves. I had some gappage (technical term :) that had to be filled with peanut butter, but they were mostly a pressure fit. No fillets yet as I want that peanut butter to set up.



Brian went off to take care of his dog and get something to eat and I did some cleanup and organization then did the same. After Brian returned he started working on epoxying the edges of the deck panel and making peanut butter while I worked on getting the first tank installed. I had to cut the straps to length as 10' was a wee bit much, but otherwise I'm very pleased with how they worked out. Each strap has a working strength of 550 pounds which is plenty and they're adjustable, so as the tank swells I'll loosen the straps.


When I finished, Brian and I lifted the deck into the boat, peanut buttered the long edge, set it in place and screwed it down. Brian then went to work pushing peanut butter into the gap next to the hull. Tomorrow that will be filleted and fiberglassed.


I spent some time reconfiguring the lights. Originally I had all four running the length of the shed. I reset the middle two so there is one on each side of the shed, about eight feet up and right in the middle. While this has made a huge difference in the amount of working light it has also exposed all the issues with the paint on the sides. :-)

Brian left for the night and I put another coat of paint on the hull (number four). I'll come in early tomorrow morning to spackle the last of the pinholes, yes, there are a few left, and then restart the hull painting tomorrow night. This will also let the paint catch up before I get back to the every twelve hour schedule. Plus I can make some sawdust tomorrow night as the paint will be strong enough for me to be able to run a tack rag over it before painting.

8 Hours - Brian
9.5 Hours - Me