Sunday, April 22, 2012

Day 189 - Lots o paint day

Today was a huge painting day with a little epoxy and fiberglass work thrown in.

I took a gazillion (translation, 21) photos today, so suffice it to say that there will be more pictures and less words tonight. Brian Goettler came over today, doing his first fiberglass work and painting. The boat also got two coats of paint today, one first thing this morning and one last thing tonight.

The cuddy got another (and maybe its last coat) of paint by Brian.


Brian also epoxied, filleted and fiberglassed the joint between the hull and the inside side decks that the gas tanks sit on.



While Brian was working I disassembled the hinges and latches from the panels on the rear deck. All the parts and pieces got a coat of epoxy on their inside sides.

I found more pinholes in the hull sides near the top so I filled them with more spackle.


No, that's not the real color! But it is a reddish purple. I think I'll like it!

Brian headed home and I went to lunch. Afterwards I worked on the conduit that runs to the back of the rear deck. The holes I drilled for installing it lined up so well there was no tension to hold it in place so I slid it all the way forward, coated it with 5200 and then slid and rotated it several times to spread the 5200 into the hole.


Then I worked on the two filler pieces at the back of the inside decks. Their bottoms were coated with epoxy and then primer. Then they were set in place and a strip of fiberglass spanned from the existing deck, across the filler piece, a fillet and up the rear cabin wall.



Since I was back there I epoxied the support strips for the upper deck in place on the rear cabin wall (above) and the front cabin wall (below).


While working in that area I marked where the vertical support would go and the horizontal line between the supports and painted the area with primer.



Took a measurement from the port side, confirmed it by setting the starboard side tank in place and primered that area too.


I cleared the work table off and primered the bottom of the upper deck panel and one side of the vertical panel.



The forward deck was next. Since I can't do much sanding I'll have to get the area around, and the bow pulpit later.


The pieces that were epoxied earlier in the day now got their coat of primer.



I decided to take a break and went and walked the Auke Bay Harbor docks. I've seen this boat before; if it's truly a Tolman, then it must be a really early design. It has some of the hallmarks of the Tolmans, but I'll have to do some checking to see if it really is.




After my walk I assembled the pieces for the rear deck, traced their inside edges and applied primer. I've also discovered that I need to do a little trimming before the parts are assembled. I'll have to take the table saw outside to make those cuts. No sawdust inside!



The last thing tonight was that second coat of paint on the hull. I wanted to see how long it was taking as I'd like to keep this schedule of two coats a day which means getting up early before work. From opening the bucket to cleaning out the paint tray takes 35 minutes. That's doable for this night owl.

3.5 Hours - Brian
10.5 Hours - Me