Thursday, April 19, 2012

Day 187 - Prepping for paint

Today was prep day for tomorrow. First up was a trip to Home Depot where I finally managed to end up being there at the same time they had the appropriate primer in stock. I'm not sure whether they go through a lot or just don't stock much, but I got a hold of two of the four gallons available. I also picked up two disposable tray liners; one for the primer, one for the maroon paint.

Back at the shed the first step was to wipe down the hull and sides with hot water and ammonia. Then I used the scraper to ease the transition between the bottom of the hull coated with epoxy and graphite and the unpainted section.

While wiping down the hull I found a place where it looks likes I must have drug something across the hull cutting a line about three inches long through the fiberglass, so after the hull was dry I mixed up a small batch of epoxy and carefully dabbed some into the cut to help seal and smooth the edges.

Then I used some of that epoxy to glue together and coat the bow pulpit. The excess epoxy was turned into very smooth peanut butter and I filled in the last of the imperfections in the spray rail.

Finally, using wide blue tape, I worked my way around the hull taping the edge of the graphite.

My electric heater has died so I need to purchase another. It's critical that I get the temperature up and keep it around 70 degrees. Of course I could do that with the propane, but that would put moisture into the air and I really don't want to do that with the painting. It's no longer raining inside and I'd like to keep it that way. :-)

3 Hours