Sunday, April 15, 2012

Day 182 - Big uns and little uns...

Made great progress today!

Another trip to Western Auto today to buy an anchor and the parts for a bow pulpit. Then a stop by Valley Lumber for two more sheets of plywood, and finally a stop by Don Abel for some hardware.

Once I got to the shed I immediately started cutting up the first sheet of 3/4" plywood. In the cabin on the port side I built a platform above the tank that runs the full length of the cabin.



There's a piece of 3/4" plywood right in the middle for support and strips attached to the forward and rear cabin wall to support the ends. The side up against the hull will be filleted and fiberglassed the hull and the inside edge overhangs the stringer by 1/2". Eventually a piece of 1/2" plywood will go under there to support that inside edge. Upon this entire structure will be built the two seats on the port side, one of which will move fore and aft to allow for the use of a table and to covert that space to a bunk. It's also nice to have the storage space forward underneath.

As you can see above, I left cutouts for access to the tank fittings and the two conduits on this side.


Tomorrow I'll make a filler strip for that gap above the conduits.

The hand planer was next. I've needed to clean up the rear shelves at the transom cut out and with the work progressing in that area it was time to get it done. About 15 minutes of work that I'll smooth out with the sander when I next have the sander in action.

Next I grabbed some cardboard and made a template for the sides of the rear splash well (transom well, motor well, whatever :-). Unlike yesterday, there was no way to just wing this, the template was absolutely necessary. And once again, I ended up with mirror parts. I do love it when that happens!



Finally, I decided to take a crack at making an anchor bow pulpit. Since I decided to have a rope locker I need to have a place to store the anchor. A little cutting, a little drilling, a couple up and backs and I've got a good start on what I want.


It still needs some work and sanding, but I've very pleased with the result.

Oh, after getting home last night it occurred to me that I could cut one side off the tank fill pieces I built yesterday and simply use the rear cabin wall as one side instead.


A couple minutes with the table saw and those were fixed.

Tomorrow will continue with the sawdust. There's lots of little things to make and I'm having fun!

8 Hours