Sunday, March 4, 2012

Day 150 - Small things

that hopefully add up to big things. Today was mostly about details.

First up was to get more 1/4" plywood. Valley Lumber was out (apparently I bought the last of it :-), so I bought four more sheets at Don Abels. While I was there I also bought two 10' lengths of 1x2 clear Douglas Fir. These will act as doublers on the outside of the upper side panels for attaching the roof.

After getting to the shed I reset everything to rip the corners off the Douglas Fir at ten degrees to match the roof line. I temporarily hung and screwed them in place to see how they would fit, then mostly removed them to work on later. I also ripped some of the left over 3/8" plywood to two and a half inches, then laminated with epoxy three sets of three to make supports for the roof that will run between the rear cabin wall and the forward arch support. One will stay in place down the center line, the other two will be temporary.

Then it was on to the tedious work of fillets and fiberglass. On the port side the fiberglass from yesterday was sanded down and a strip added at the lower side panel butt joint.


The starboard side joint between the upper and lower panels was next. Just like yesterday it was backed with blue tape after epoxy, peanut butter and fiberglass.



Behind the rear cabin wall I was able to back the joint with fiberglass instead of blue tape as the joint is short and stable here.


I would've liked to have done this on the port side too, but there was some damage from cutting the ply so I had to fill it in with peanut butter. It'll be cleaned up and fiberglassed tomorrow.


However I was able to get a fillet in on the vertical joint (as you can see above) and did the inside as well.


The inside joint between the panels was done, as well as the butt joint. The joint between the forward cabin wall, the cuddy roof and the upper side panel were filleted and glassed (I just noticed I didn't get fiberglass on the lower fillet. DDD!).


10oz fiberglass was put on the three faces that didn't get done yesterday.



Last for the night was the cuddy roof. I sanded all the bumps from the screw holes, sanded smooth the scarf joint, made some semi-runny peanut butter and overfilled the low spots in the scarf joint and all the screw holes. What was left was used to fill screw holes elsewhere (of which there are no shortage!).


Tomorrow everything that was done today will get a good sanding. The forward box arch needs to be done first thing as there's a lot of things that follow from it. I would've worked on it today, but couldn't until the starboard side panels joint was finished. Much of the work done today will be repeated tomorrow, then I can get on to the cabin roof!

9 Hours