Friday, March 23, 2012

Day 167 - Closing in

While there's still a few areas like the roof and the cabin sides yet to fiberglass I feel like I can actually see the end of the major fiberglassing road.

Tonight I finished fiberglassing the shelves extending into the rear deck area. After cutting a couple additional pieces of fiberglass, doing some final sanding and brushing to get the sawdust off I made up some epoxy and coated the last of the shelves, cabin sides and hull sides where the fiberglass would overlap. Then I finished the fillet along the cabin sides and put fillets at the back where the shelves meet the transom.

Fiberglass was then laid down, smoothed out and pressed into the epoxy with my hands and then the dry spots were filled in.

I'm very pleased with the unplanned result of the width of the shelves at the transom. They're about 32" wide and 14" deep which will make for great work surfaces! I'll have to think about how to mount a cutting board back there.

Anyway, here are the pictures from tonight.




The blue tape in the last picture is supporting a large amount of peanut butter (to keep it from sagging) that is being used to fill in a spot where the shelves got cut slightly wrong. I'll pull the tape tomorrow and sand or fill as appropriate to finish it up.




It's surprising just how much time it takes to do something like this, three plus hours, but you pay for it up front with a good job, or you pay for it on the back end with the cleanup.

Tomorrow will be roof day. I need to trim and clean up the edges, fill the holes with epoxy and fiberglass the top. Beyond that there's the trim piece to go around the edges, the grab rail to make, the sacrificial strips to go across the top and paint. I'd like to have all this done by the end of the weekend. We'll see, it's an ambitious schedule.

3.5 Hours